Thursday, January 5, 2012

Brand New

New Year's is fast becoming my favorite holiday.  We good-bye a year in a night.  We hello brand new in the wee hours of morning.  Clean pallets, empty canvases, wide open horizons of possibility.  Minds poised, ready to dive in to change.  Big or small.  Stopping, starting.

Diet plans and exercise regimes.  To pick up a new hobby.  Save for that trip.  Work hard.  Play more.

Maybe you find cynicism in the resolutions of a new year.  It's true - the year ahead doesn't change the year behind us or the obstacles we face.  And yet the New Year extends its hand to us just the same...its open hand.  A hand free of judgement, void of record.  Yup, there is snow on the ground...but it can still be summer in our hearts.




My sisters and I dove in and started a 365 (+1 - leap year, baby!) project.  A picture a day for a year.  I want to learn my camera.  I want to link arms with my sisters, no matter the miles between our front doors and welcome mats.  And while I have no aspirations of becoming a photographer, I do hope to always be a student of life.  I hope that when I'm 86, I'm heading off to a pottery class just to get my hands dirty and learn something new.  To push myself creatively.  To pause for the beauty in each day.  Because it's there, ripe and ready to be enjoyed.






We are all moving toward something.  No matter the direction we're heading, we are shifting, changing.  So why not dream up the people we want to be, pin it up on the Pinterest boards of our minds and.....become.


Listen to the mustn'ts, child. 
Listen to the don'ts. 
Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. 
Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... 
Anything can happen, child. 
Anything can be. 

Shel Silverstein



My all-things-new-resolutions are simple.  Open hands.  More love.

Let's embrace the new.  Quiet that noise heart.  Point our feet.  And become...


Forget about what's happened; 
don't keep going over old history.
Be alert, be present. I'm about to do something brand-new. 
It's bursting out! Don't you see it? 


Isaiah 43.19, The Message






Viva la Vida!  Here's to the adventure of a brand new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment