Monday, October 25, 2010

Swingin' Skin

I've been following a blog for a little bit now.  Pretty sure Kelle Hampton opens windows and sings and little birds land on her fingers.  She's just that kind of special.  And in this post, she out did herself.  Check it out:

To Thine Own Self Be True.

When I was 13, I was scared.  I was broken.  I was searching for a place to belong and someone to define me, protect me.  Now that I'm (almost) 30, I feel like the saggy-baggy-elephant, growing nicely into my own skin. 

If I could sit down eyeball to eyeball with my 13 year-old-self, I'd say that you are beautiful without makeup.  I tell myself that my parents really do love me.  That life, breathing in and breathing out, is a gift.  I'd beg myself to slow down, to not to be in such a hurry to be grown up, to not start dating an 18 year old guy when I turned 14.  I'd tell me that other girls are mean because they are trying to figure out who they are, too.  And all the nights I begged the Lord for a friend, I'd tell my 13-year-old self that He'd bless me with more than one to hear my heart.  I'd tell myself that you are enough.  That you are not too much. 

And now I want to run up and hug every thirteen year old girl I see.

Life gets so much better.

And can I give a quick shout-out to my three followers?  Thank you for reading and commenting.  I feel like I'm in the vocalization stage of this whole thing, looking forward to the day when all this noise becomes words and then concepts and then...well, who knows where this will end up.  But thank you for being here now and joining me on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment