Friday, March 23, 2012

Welcome Mat

Mid-March rolled in like summer around here, flaunting record high temperatures and trash talking to the other seasons that Spring is where it's at.

Evenings this week have been warm enough to walk.  In boat shoes.  Sans jacket.  And grabbing leash and Weim, heading out under a canvas of stars, my thoughts have jumped and grasped at God.  Clear night skies have a magic about them that clears the mind to enjoy the warm air, the jingling collar of a happy dog, and a neighborhood still, drifted to sleep.




I love being tucked in under the blanket of night-time sky.  Knowing that Creator-God who dreamed up the galaxies blazing above, bends low, listens, even relishes our clumsy attempts to worship Him.  His eyes trace over our lives; every freckle, every scar, every laugh line...memorized.   

He turns on the porch light, puts the coffee on the stove.  His eyes dance when we open the door at the end of the day.  He bubbles over with "Just look at you" and "I love you" and "I've got something to show you."  He can't help himself.  His heart is full.  He:


...richly enjoys you...your company is His pleasure, your fellowship His joy, your face His delight...He hasn't just made room for us in heaven; He has made room for us in His joyful heart. 
SAMMY SMITH, OBJECTS OF HIS AFFECTION


It wasn't always this way.  There was a time we wanted nothing to do with Him.

So the Galaxy-Engineering-God knelt down.  Heartbroken and unwilling to let us run off, to be gone forever, He chased down fugitive hearts with His Son.

He hounded through fear and shame with relentless affection and whispered in the dark and dead places, "Yes, I've seen.  I know.  And you aren't too big for me.  My grace is strong enough.  I am strong enough.  I can carry you home."


God calling yet! shall I not hear?
Earth's pleasures shall I still hold dear?
Shall life's swift passing years all fly,
And still my soul in slumber lie?

God calling yet! shall I not rise?
Can I His loving voice despise,
And basely His kind care repay?
He calls me still: can I delay?

God calling yet! and shall He knock
And I my heart the closer lock?
He still is waiting to receive,
And shall I dare His Spirit grieve?

God calling yet!  I cannot stay; 
My heart I yield without delay;
Vain world, farewell! from thee I part;
The voice of God hath reached my heart!

GERHARD TERSTEEGEN, TRANSLATED BY JANE L. BORTHWICK


God woos even now, heart bubbling over.  I'm so glad you're here.  I love you.  I've got so much to show you.

Take a walk.  Climb a mountain.  Watch a sunset.  All lines of one giant love letter to the hearts of humanity, all pieces of one expansive invitation to explore and discover how big, how vast, how lovely, how tender...this God of the universe is.  This God who bends and kneels and makes our hearts His home.

The welcome mat is out.  The porch light's on.  The places that were dark and dead have been swept away.

Spring in all it's newness has come.


1 comment:

  1. That was God writing through you. I'd share this with the world. Thank you Angie.

    ReplyDelete